About Shelly Whelchel
Posts by Shelly Whelchel:
Our dog Tango and our beautiful hydrangea garden at our weekend home in East Texas.
Oakleaf hydrangea prefer partial to full shade with morning sun preferably. When we plant in Fort Worth we use acidic soil and fertilize them once a year. A 10-10-10 is perfect. Pruning should be performed after bloom cycle is complete. Prune the stems for desired shape and size right above forward facing leaves.
Hydrangea blooms can be used in fresh and dried arrangements!
Proper planting instructions:
- Plant bulbs when soil temperature is 60 degrees Fahrenheit
- Plant within a week of purchasing
- Choose firm bulbs if they are soft throw them out
- Plant is sunny to partly shaded areas
- Place bulbs 4 to 6 inches apart
- Plant bulbs 8 inches deep
- Place bulb in hole pointed side up and cover with soil
Wet the ground lightly and bulbs will emerge in early spring!
1. Plant pansies in full sun for the best bloom.
2. Use well draining soil.
3. Feed with fertilizer every other week.
4. Top dress with sand to prevent slug and snail damage.
5. Water well and then allow to dry out before watering again.
6. Deadhead spent blooms along with stems.